Monday, March 21, 2011

A Different Kind of Pizza

I saw the picture of this pizza and my mouth started watering.  I glanced through the ingredients and got a little nervous.  How would my Italian husband feel about Bbq sauce on his pizza????  Well, I'd just have to wait and see.  I enjoyed preparing the toppings as they were just so colorful and made me feel happy.  I don't know about y'all but beautiful food makes me smile.  As I said before in a previous post, we eat with our eyes first and my eyes were definitely hungry!  Unfortunately by the time the pizza was done, I wasn't feeling so well.  I had been nauseous on and off all day and darnit if it didn't kick in again just as I was serving up the slices.  (sigh)  I did manage to get half a slice down just so I knew what it tasted like and it was very, very good.  I would have enjoyed it much  more had I been hungry at the time.  Now, are you wondering if Todd liked it?  I wasn't so sure because the first thing he said when he sat down and took a look at the pizza was, "Is that barbeque sauce on my pizza?"  GULP.  I shrugged my shoulders and said, "You like Bbq chicken....."  He took a bite and looked up at me.  Thank God I had made a pepperoni pizza too for the kids cuz I had a feeling he was headed back into the kitchen to the garbage can, but I was wrong.  He smiled at me and said, "mmmmm. not bad."  I guess not since he ate the rest of the pizza for snack later that night.  LOL


I made some Peanut Butter Jumbos earlier in the day for dessert.  I was so excited because here was a cookie I could eat without getting sick.  There isn't any gluten in them at all!!  Peanut Butter, oatmeal and a whole lot of sugary goodness in these cookies.  The whole family loves these tasty bites.  I just had one with my coffee.  There is a lot of sugar in these babies though.  Don't eat too many!  This was another successful meal in my journey through this cookbook.  Try these recipes out and please let me know if you enjoyed them or not.  Thank you for dishin with Di!  Blessings and good eating!

COLORFUL CHICKEN PIZZA

Ingredients

  • 1 prebaked 12-inch pizza crust
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 package (6 ounces) ready-to-use grilled chicken breast strips
  • 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded pizza cheese blend
  • 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
  • 2 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil

Directions

  • Place the crust on an ungreased 12-in. pizza pan. Brush with oil. Combine the chicken, barbecue sauce, onion and garlic; spoon half over crust.
  • Sprinkle with pizza cheese. Top with remaining chicken mixture. Sprinkle with peppers, Gouda cheese and basil. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 slices.
PEANUT BUTTER JUMBOS

Ingredients

  • 1-1/2 cups peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup M&M's miniature baking bits

Directions

  • In a large bowl, cream peanut butter, butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine oats and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips and baking bits.
  • Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are browned. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 9 dozen.
Editor's Note: Reduced-fat or generic brands of peanut butter are not recommended for this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment