Thursday, March 3, 2011

One fine supper!!!

Hey foodies!!!  Unfortunately Todd was not able to join me for supper tonight.  He had to stay down in J'ville again to get some work done.  Dylan did eat supper with me though, so that was nice and it must have been really good, because he ate two chicken breasts!!!  He also had two large slices of the bread.  Here's the menu for tonight: Lemon Teriyaki Chicken, Broccoli with Smoked Almonds and Three Cheese Garlic Bread.  Let's talk chicken......I had never had teriyaki sauce on anything because I have a sensitivity to soy, but fortunately, I've been ok. with it since I started this adventure.  I get a small headache, but it's sooooo worth it.  The color on the chicken was gorgeous!!!  You know we eat with our eyes first, right?  I was very excited to taste this chicken.  Boy what a nice surprise.  It was so moist and tasty!!!  Like I said, dylan went back for seconds.  I have to say that the real star of this meal for me was the broccoli.  Frozen florets were sauteed with minced garlic in olive oil.  Then water and salt were added to the pan until boiling.  After reducing the heat in went diced pimientos and chopped smoked almonds.  googly moogly!!!!!  Fantastic!!!!  I know what's for lunch tomorrow!!!  I could eat that every day.  It was delicious with the crunch from the almonds and the zip from the pimientos I can never eat broccoli plain again.  NEVER!!! The bread was a hit with the boys, but I didn't care for it which I guess is good since I'm not supposed to eat it.  Maybe that's God's way of saying, "Lay off!"

I was sad that Todd couldn't be here, but I know that this meal will taste just as good as leftovers and I cannot wait for him to try it.  He will be very pleased with this meal.  The picture is a little blurry, but you get the idea.  I really need to get a new camera!!!  hang in there with me until I do.  I hope you try these recipes for yourself and let me know what you think.  Blessings and good eating!

Here are the recipes:

LEMON TERIYAKI CHICKEN

Ingredients

  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar

Directions

  • Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness; coat with flour. In a large skillet, cook chicken in butter over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
  • Add the teriyaki sauce, lemon juice, garlic and sugar to the skillet; stir to loosen browned bits. Return chicken to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
BROCCOLI WITH SMOKED ALMONDS

Ingredients

  • 5 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup smoked or roasted salted almonds, coarsely chopped
  • 1 jar (2 ounces) sliced pimientos, drained

Directions

  • In a large skillet, saute broccoli and garlic in oil for 2 minutes or until garlic is golden brown. Add water and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
  • Add almonds and pimientos. Cook, uncovered, for 1 minute or until water is evaporated. Yield: 4 servings.

THREE CHEESE GARLIC BREAD

Ingredients

  • 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • Dash paprika and pepper

Directions

  • Cut bread in half widthwise; cut one portion in half lengthwise. Save remaining bread for another use. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Spread evenly over cut sides of bread.
  • Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted. Slice and serve warm. Yield: 4 servings.
Thanks for dishin with Di

No comments:

Post a Comment