Saturday, March 26, 2011

saturday supper

Hey foodies! It's Saturday night!!!  Well, the day started off at the gym and then some cleaning of the bathrooms and laundry.  I did some sewing and relaxed a little bit.  Oops!  Drat it all!  I forgot to take the Salmon out of the freezer.  Now what???  Well, I guess I'll just open my recipe book and see what sounds good.  I got it!  It's a little chilly outside so how about some Three Bean Taco Chili and Mexican Corn bread?  That sounded delicious so off to the store I went to pick up the few ingredients I didn't have on hand.  Cheap and delicious!  You cannot beat that!  I am actually glad I forgot about the Salmon.  This meal certainly hit the spot!  The chili was very easy to put together.  It's a one pot deal.  I did forget to add the salsa, but when I tasted it, I found that I really didn't need it, so I left it out.  This recipe makes a ton of chili so I was glad when a couple of Dylan's friends stopped by to see him.  I just invited them in for chili and now I don't have much leftover.  Perfect!!!  The teenage boys loved it!  There is no corn bread left at all!  That's a good thing since I really shouldn't eat it with my celiac disease.  The cornbread had a nice spice to it with the cumin.  Loved it!

THREE BEAN TACO CHILI

Directions

  • In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, beans, corn, tomatoes, tomato sauce, salsa, taco seasoning and olives.
  • Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Garnish with cheese. Yield: 9 servings.
MEXICAN CORN BREAD

Directions

  • In a small bowl, combine the muffin mix, onion and cumin. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and 1 tablespoon butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in 1/2 cup cheese.
  • Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Brush with remaining butter and sprinkle with remaining cheese, bake 2-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.

Well that's it friends.  I hope you try this one out because it is a winner!!  Blessings and good eating!

Ingredients

  • 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
  • 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup 2% milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
  • 3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
  • 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
  • 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
  • 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
  • 1 cup chunky salsa
  • 1 envelope taco seasoning
  • 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

1 comment:

  1. Ma,
    Those were most definately some great vittles. It hit the spot so much and thank you for making it. I absolutely loved it. Plus the fact that you got up, went out and got the ingredients was an inconvenience to you for this meal, but your results were simply fabulous. You know, also when Dylan's friends came to the door after having walked some great distances and it being a bit chilly out, you invited them in for dinner. That was an awfully nice thing to do and they so enjoyed the meal as well. The put a wooping on it with a tall glass off cow juice (aka: milk) and as you know, they polished off about 6 biscuits and the entire pan of corn bread. We all loved it and what a great meal for a left over. This is most definately a keeper and one that tastes even better on day 2. Well done pretty lady and keep those great recipes coming. I love them and you. I give this five*****'s.

    ReplyDelete