Sunday, February 13, 2011

My catfish adventure

Well, here I am and I'm alive!!!  Let me tell you first off that I DO NOT like fish or coleslaw and tonight I ate them both in the same meal.  All of my teens passed on this meal and fended for themselves.  I guess I can't blame them as I was a little hesitant to eat anything but the potatoes as well.  This afternoon I started with the coleslaw since it needed time to chill before suppertime.  I first tasted the raw cabbage and thought it wasn't too bad.  When I looked through the recipe and saw that it used white vinegar, my insides shook.  I detest vinegar and especially white vinegar!!!!!  I am committed to this adventure though and plunged ahead.  I tasted my dressing when I was finished it and was greatly surprised at how wonderful it was!!!  I quickly threw it into the cabbage and tossed it around.  I had to try this together!!!  One forkful, hmmmmmm not bad, led to three forkfuls and a quick run outside to share some with Todd.  He loved it too!!!  I almost got tears in my eyes!!!  I was eating coleslaw.........UNBELIEVABLE.

By the time I had to cook supper I was ready for this adventure.  I threw the potatoes in the microwave to steam and set about preparing my catfish fillets.  They had to be spread with mustard first (that was weird) and then coated with a cornmeal, flour mixture before throwing in the pan to fry.  What a beautiful crust was created!!!! It looked fantastic, but how would it taste to this non-seafood eater???  Well, of course, I made Todd eat some first.  I actually held my breath!  He looked up at me and smiled.  He liked it!!!!  Yippee!  Now it was my turn.  I took a very small bite and held it in my mouth for a minute.  I was so nervous!  I chewed and swallowed.  My verdict.... it was ok.  I ate half of my fillet without getting sick, so that's good.  I think I'll like fish more each time I eat it.  I was just thrilled that I didn't hate it and have to spit it out.  So I guess you could say the dinner was a success!  I topped off my meal with a square of Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate and a Bailey's and cream on the rocks.

The best part of the evening though was when my husband surprised me with an ensemble of freshwater pearls for Valentines day!!!!  A beautiful necklace, bracelet and two sets of earrings handcrafted from pearls found in Hawaii.  Simply amazing!!!  What a wonderful and surprising gift!!!  Not the usual chocolates and flowers and that makes me smile.  I hope you have enjoyed reading this blog tonight.  Tomorrow's supper is family pleasing pizza.  Stop back in tomorrow night to read about the next big adventure in my kitchen.  Good eating!

3 comments:

  1. Loving this blog Diana, and looking forward to trying some new recipes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana,
    Absolutely wonderful. I know that two of the three items you made, were things you don't really have much experience with-but it was awesome. We have been married over 18 years, and you have never 'made' fish. (well minus fish sticks:)) but this fish was simply outstanding. I was so impressed with the light crispy coating and how that met the tender fish inside. The coleslaw was how shall I say, "boom-schaka-laka/boom" It was so good I am thinking about eating some more after I finish my chocalate milk duds :) The garlic potatos were great as well. A tremendous meal that was very much appreciate and enjoyed. Way to go and good for you for trying something that you have not had before.. keep up the great job!! Love Todd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your enthusiasm, girl!!! keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete