Saturday, February 26, 2011

What are these things????

Ok folks tonight was a big risk for me.  I had a plan B just in case we didn't like this dish at all.  The picture on the website looked really good, but we all know that those  pictures aren't real half the time.  All you need to do to see that is compare my pic with the one on the website.  Two totally different pictures for sure!  I even followed the recipe to the T.  Anyway, here's the dish-Sweet and Sour Scallops and Almond Rice.  Scallops you say???  Yep, scallops.  I had to try to explain to Todd what scallops were even though I have a very limited knowledge being that I've only had them once and they were wrapped in bacon.  Anything wrapped in bacon is delicious, so I'm thinking, "Hey, these are gonna be great," since that was my only experience with scallops.  Well..........they were delicious!  The sweet and sour sauce was soooo yummy.  The only thing is, half way through, I was thinking that the dish was too sweet.  If I were to prepare this again, I'd use very little of the pineapple chunks, but keep the pineapple juice in the sauce. That should do it.  The texture of the scallops was perfect for me.  Todd gave me a thumbs up on this dish so I'm assuming he enjoyed it.  Now let's talk about the rice.  May I say that I would add toasted almonds to my rice anytime!!!  OH MY GOODNESS!!!!  What genius thought of this???????  It was soooo yummy!  What a nice flavor and crunch.  I will double this recipe next time so we have leftovers of this. 

I am so glad we are trying new things or I never would have made these two delicious recipes.  I would have looked at it in the book and said, "No way, Jose!!"  I am really enjoying this cooking through the book thing.  I know that my children wish I had never seen that movie, but maybe when they are older they will appreciate it.  I would love to expand their pallette, but we have to do it in baby-steps.  In case you're wondering, and you're probably not, but the two children who were at home for supper passed on this one.  Dylan settled for a triple decker peanut butter sandwich and Allie ate a cheese and mushroom pizza.  Works for me!  Here's the recipe.....

SWEET AND SOUR SCALLOPS

Ingredients

  • 2 cans (8 ounces each) pineapple chunks
  • 1 pound sea scallops (about 16)
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 1/3 cup julienned green pepper
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2/3 cup cherry tomatoes, halved

Directions

  • Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple and juice aside. In a large skillet, saute scallops in oil until firm and opaque; drain. Remove from pan and keep warm.
  • In the same pan, saute onion and green pepper in butter for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender.
  • Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, ground mustard and salt. Whisk in the vinegar, soy sauce and reserved pineapple juice until smooth.
  • Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the tomatoes, scallops and reserved pineapple; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
ALMOND RICE
  • Ingredients
  • 1-1/2 cups water
  • 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley

Directions

  • In a large saucepan, bring the water, rice and butter to a boil. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until water is absorbed. Stir in the almonds, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Thanks for dishing with Di!  Blessings and good eating!

1 comment:

  1. Lady Di,
    WOW! I must say you are taking me way outside of my traditional comfort zone. I have eaten more things different in the last two weeks than I have done in my entire life. You know I like me some seafood, but scallops is something that I never had a desire to try.. ever :) BUT, I will say that I am in this thing with you and must admit that I enjoyed this meal very much. The pineapple provided a very sweet and enjoyable zip to the dish. It was a great balance of sweet and sour and I really enjoyed it down to the little baby tomatos-so well done there. Now, you know I loved the green beans, one of my favorite veggies. The rice was simply outstanding, you took something that can obviously be very bland and basic and you pepped it up with the parsley and the diced almonds was just a great and classy touch. The texture was awesome and I really enjoyed it. By the end of the meal, I found my scallops and pineapple crawling into my rice and they were all having a ball just prior to being chowed down :) Again, job well done and outstanding job at not only making it, but for both of us stepping outside of our traditional comfort zone with food, it is definately worth it. Hey, that concept is giving me some ideas in some other areas too ;) we will need to chat more about that, different blog!! well done. Love ya momma p. I submit 3.5 stars for this meal.

    ReplyDelete